Yummy,Nutritious, pure rice soupy noodles to replace your unhealthy maggi.
Maggi was banned from the markets! we all know. We all also know that it was banned as it was found to have something in it which was bad for our health.
Well, These GF soupy noodles are packed with nutrition and with taste. So what are you waiting for ?
Let’s get going…
It is a total 4 step process to get there.
- Making the Vegetable Stock/Soup :
- Making a choice -which Noodles to use?
- Cooking the Noodles.
- Top up with vegetables – grilled/baked/saute
Step #4 is optional.
This recipe will serve a complete meal for 2 adults and one child.
Vegetable stock could be made fresh or could be made earlier and stored in the refrigerator. For Non vegetarians, replace water with chicken stock and throw in some pieces of boiled chicken at the end.
- Cut all your vegetables into thin slices or small pieces so that they get cooked faster.
- Take a heavy bottom wok on high flame.
- Add oil/butter/ghee and let it be hot enough for a bit of sauteing.
- Saute the onions only till they turn transparent. Add Basil leaves and saute till the leaves turn dark in color. In case you wish to add green chillis, you could do so at this stage.
- Add Garlic and continue to saute, till a pleasant aroma of garlic starts.
- Add Carrots to the wok and saute them for a while.
- Add capsicums and saute all these vegetables till they are semi cooked.
- Now add tomatoes (again should be cut into very thin slices) and continue to cook on high flame.
- As tomatoes turn mushy, add boiling water/chicken stock and let it simmer .You could cover the wok to speed-en up the cooking. You could also pressure cook now to make the stock faster.
- Add nutmeg and let it simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Strain and discard the vegetable fiber waste , thereby collecting the clear stock.
- The Vegetable stock/soup is ready
You can take the quantity of oil as per your liking. I like my food to be cooked in a lot of oil. Oils are necessary . They are healthy.They are our body’s basic need. Only the choices need to be right. This topic of oils and our health deserves a separate post . So be it ! Some day ..
Which GF Noodles to chose ?
You have a variety of GF noodles available in the market. Various brands have now made their presence felt in this section of gourmet foods. However, I prefer having my food without any additives and like to get back to basics.
I am not promoting any brand here. I have no personal gain in doing so. You could use any brand. The method may vary a little as I have used this specific product always.
Only sharing which brand I use and why.
WHICH BRAND :
I use Rice Sticks from Real Thai
WHY THIS BRAND
- It is certified gluten free.
- It is made out of only rice and water.
- No additives, No gums , No added starches.
You can buy these noodles either from Nature’s Basket or order it from amazon.in
- Take a heavy bottom pan. You could take the same pan which was used earlier to make the soup .
- Add the vegetable stock/soup made earlier ,add salt ,bring it to a boil and let it simmer on low flame.
- Add the noodles and cover the pan. Let the noodles soften and get cooked in the yummy healthy soup .
- You could decide to keep the noodles wet and soupy or could let the soup dry by keeping it on high flame for some time .
- Add some sugar in case you want the original sweet and sour flavor. We do.about a pinch or two .
- Remember that these noodles will continue to drink the soup just like the maggi used to. And become more flavorsome ofcourse.The Next step is optional. For our son, his GF soupy noodles are ready at this stage.
- Saute your choice of Vegetables with butter and garlic , salt and pepper to the soupy noodles ready .I used capsicum and mushrooms as that’s all I had at hand.
Hope you enjoy making and eating this nutritious replacement to Maggi. Please do share in comments section, how you liked it.